Welcome to OPSEU!
Congratulations on your employment at Mohawk College! All Support Staff are part of OPSEU Local 241, including student employees.
The strength of our local comes from you and our fellow members. Our members
- Vote on proposals and elect Local Executive team members at General Membership Meetings.
- Attend conferences and educational programs, with expenses reimbursed and child care offered.
- Take advantage of OPSEU discount programs for Bell Mobility, VIA Rail, and popular attractions.
Step 1: Become a Member. Sign your Form!
All Support Staff are covered by a collective agreement but OPSEU membership is not automatic. There is no cost to become a member.
- Signing your membership form makes you a Member in Good Standing.
- Signing your membership form makes you eligible for strike pay in the event of a labour interruption or strike.
- Every signed member increases the amount of funding our Local receives.
Step 2: Get your Collective Agreement
The Collective Agreement is a joint contract between OPSEU and the Ontario Colleges that details our rights and entitlements. Everything from leaves of absence, vacation days, rates of pay, dispute resolution, and more. It is a valuable and powerful source of information.
The collective agreement can look daunting at first, but don’t worry. A Steward at your campus can assist you with any questions you may have.
Step 3: Attend a General Membership Meeting
Attending General Membership Meetings is the easiest and most effective way to take part in the union.
At GMMs, our members discuss and vote on matters of our Local. Amendments to our local bylaws, our operating budget, accepting new stewards, and nominating attendees for OPSEU conventions. Members are always encouraged to bring issues and proposals forward to a Steward that may be discussed at a GMM.
GMM announcements can be found in several ways:
- Posted on our homepage and the Next GMM info page
- Sent college-wide by email to Mohawk email addresses
- Sent to your personal email by signing up for our mailing list
- Posted on Local 241 Bulletin Boards at each campus
- Posted on the office door at Fennell Campus A006A
GMMs are held a minimum of two times per year and are announced at least 14 days in advance. GMMs will be online until further notice.
Take a step beyond attending meetings. It’s easier than you might think.
- Talk about the union with your coworkers and encourage them to sign their membership form. Our power comes from our numbers and knowledge of our rights.
- Attend an OPSEU educational course or conference. Expenses for travel, childcare, meals, and accommodation are reimbursed for attending union functions.
- Consider becoming a Steward at our local.
- Tell us what you need! What can we do that would help our members? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.