When are Local Elections?
Elections for all Local Officers occur every two years in the fall semester.
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Trustee
Trustees have a unique role at the local. Working with the Treasurer, Trustees audit our Local spending and report our financial performance to OPSEU-SEFPO Head Office.
Our local has two trustees elected to two-year terms. You do not have to be a Steward before becoming a trustee, but Trustees cannot hold any other position at the Local.
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Steward
Stewards are the backbone of Local operations and have a long history in organized labour. Any member can volunteer as a Steward. Stewards do many different things at the local, including:
- Welcoming new members to their departments.
- Helping answer member questions and inform them about updates, news, and events.
- Provide the Local with insight into their area’s working conditions and highlight possible areas of concern.
- Meet with all Stewards and Officers monthly at a Local Executive Committee meeting.
Any Steward or current Officer can be nominated and elected as an Officer
- President – Enforces compliance with the bylaws and regulations of the Union, chairs meetings, and supervises the operations of the Local.
- Vice-President – Performs presidential functions during any absence of the President, including attending functions of the Union when the president can’t attend.
- Secretary – Attends and organizes all meetings of the Local. Keeps minutes, distributes notices to the Local Executive Committee, answers and forwards Union correspondence and membership information to the regional office.
- Treasurer – Responsible for Local finances, budgets, and operating funds. Works together with our accountant and Trustees to audit our financial performance.
- Communications Officer – Distributes announcements to members by email and website postings. Maintains our local mailing list.
- Part-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the part-time unit.
- Full-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the full-time unit.
CAAT-S Divisional Meeting Delegates
Any member can be nominated and elected as
- Delegate – Attends and votes on behalf of our Local
- Alternate – Attends as backup for a delegate in case of illness or absence
- Observer – Attends to watch the proceedings
Every non-bargaining year, both divisions (Part-Time Support and Full-Time Support) will hold a Divisional Meeting to discuss important matters to the unit and elect representatives for divisional committees. Representatives from each College Local are elected to attend.