When are Local Elections?
Elections for all Local Officers occur every two years. Our next elections are on Wednesday, September 27, at Noon online.
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Trustee
Trustees have a unique role at the local. Working with the Treasurer, Trustees audit our Local spending and report our financial performance to OPSEU-SEFPO Head Office.
Our local has two trustees elected to two-year terms. You do not have to be a Steward before becoming a trustee, but Trustees cannot hold any other position at the Local.
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Steward
Stewards are the backbone of Local operations and have a long history in organized labour. Any member can volunteer as a Steward. Stewards do many different things at the local, including:
- Welcoming new members to their departments.
- Helping answer member questions and inform them about updates, news, and events.
- Provide the Local with insight into their area’s working conditions and highlight possible areas of concern.
- Meet with all Stewards and Officers monthly at a Local Executive Committee meeting.
Any Steward or current Officer can be nominated and elected as an Officer
- President – Enforces compliance with the bylaws and regulations of the Union, chairs meetings, and supervises the operations of the Local.
- Vice-President – Performs presidential functions during any absence of the President, including attending functions of the Union when the president can’t attend.
- Secretary – Attends and organizes all meetings of the Local. Keeps minutes, distributes notices to the Local Executive Committee, answers and forwards Union correspondence and membership information to the regional office.
- Treasurer – Responsible for Local finances, budgets, and operating funds. Works together with our accountant and Trustees to audit our financial performance.
- Communications Officer – Distributes announcements to members by email and website postings. Maintains our local mailing list.
- Part-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the part-time unit.
- Full-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the full-time unit.
Divisional Meeting Delegates
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Divisional Meeting Delegate (attends and votes on behalf of our Local)
Any member can be nominated and elected as a Divisional Meeting Alternate (attends as back-up for the delegate in case of illness or absence)
Every non-bargaining year, both divisions (Part-Time Support and Full-Time Support) will hold a Divisional Meeting with all College Locals to discuss important matters to the unit and elect representatives for divisional committees.