How does the Local operate?
The day-to-day business of the local is performed by the Local Executive Committee (LEC). The LEC is entirely volunteer members with different positions and responsibilities. All stewards and officers are employees of the college, just like you.
What are the Local Executive Committee positions in our Local?
Stewards are the backbone of Local operations and have a long history in organized labour. Any member in good standing, full-time or part-time, can volunteer as a Steward. Stewards do many different things at the local, including:
- Welcoming new members to their departments.
- Helping answer member questions and inform them about updates, news, and events.
- Provide the Local with insight into their area’s working conditions and highlight possible areas of concern.
- Meet with all Stewards and Officers monthly at a Local Executive Committee meeting.
Every area is unique! The more Stewards we have, the better we can address problems early and keep our members engaged. Being a Steward offers new opportunities like:
- Becoming an Officer of the local in our elections, held every two years.
- Attending OPSEU training events and conferences, all expenses paid.
- Join a higher-level OPSEU-SEFPO committee in our sector (CAAT-S)
Stewards become Officers by being elected at a General Membership Meeting every two years. Any Steward can be nominated for any Officer position.
Local 241’s officer roles are:
- President – Enforces compliance with the bylaws and regulations of the Union, chairs meetings, and supervises the operations of the Local.
- Vice-President – Performs presidential functions during any absence of the President, including attending functions of the Union when the president can’t attend.
- Secretary – Attends and organizes all meetings of the Local. Keeps minutes, distributes notices to the Local Executive Committee, answers and forwards Union correspondence and membership information to the regional office.
- Treasurer – Responsible for Local finances, budgets, and operating funds. Works together with our accountant and Trustees to audit our financial performance.
- Communications Officer – Distributes announcements to members by email and website postings. Maintains our local mailing list.
- Part-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the part-time unit.
- Full-Time Unit Steward – Coordinates and assists stewards for the full-time unit.
Trustees have a unique role at the local. Working with the Treasurer, Trustees audit our Local spending and report our financial performance to OPSEU-SEFPO Head Office.
Our local has two trustees elected to two-year terms. Any member in good standing can be nominated and elected as a Trustee. You do not have to be a Steward before becoming a trustee, but Trustees cannot hold any other position at the Local.